Around 1920, Alderwood was first planned as an extension of the newly incorporated Town of New Toronto. Alderwood was still part of the original Etobicoke township. Although Alderwood did not undergo significant growth until after the Second World War, many industries moved into the area along Brown's Line during the war years. After the war, increased immigration, particularly from eastern Europe, led to the rapid urbanization of the area which continued until the end of the 1960s. Alderwood is characterized by single family homes, many of which were constructed at the end of the Second World War.