Aurora Grove P.S. was officially opened in September, 2000. It is located in the eastern quadrant of the town of Aurora amidst a residential area. Graduates of Wells Street P.S. attend Aurora Grove for their grade 7 and 8 years. It is also a holding school for students who reside in the subdivision found northeast of Wellington Street and Bayview Avenue. Located at Aurora Grove is an independently operated Before/After- School program run by York Professional Daycare. Students living within our boundaries attend Dr. G. W. Williams Secondary School once they have graduated from grade 8.
The school’s library is known as Griffin Hall, and is named after the school’s mascot. Our school colours are teal, white and black.
As with each school in the York Region District School Board, Aurora Grove P.S. supports student learning through the curriculum standards set out by the Ontario Ministry of Education and many other co-curricular activities.
- promotes a safe and supportive learning environment. This is done through the Board’s Safe Schools Policy and Procedures, and the Character Matters Initiatives,
- provides Special Education Programs,
- provides a before and after school program. Service is provided by York Professional Day Care Inc.
We are also very proud to offer the following programs to our students and their families:
- Ongoing and informal social skills counseling,
- Progressive Discipline Model,
- Peer Tutoring Program,
- VIP program for Grade 6 students,
- Winter Electives for Grade 1 to 8 students,
- Student Council,
- Homework Club,
- Choices into Action,
- Author Visits,
- Arts presentations,
- Guest Speakers and Workshops,
- Family Literacy Nights,
- Library Helpers,
- Red Maple (Sr.), Silver Birch (Jr.), Blue Spruce (Pr.) Book Clubs,
- Character Matters Initiatives,
- Student Representation on School Council,
- Healthy Schools Initiative,
- Reading Circles.
Students may choose to participate in these co-curricular activities:
- Mad Hatters
- Peer Tutors
- Student Council
- Primary Choir
- Junior Choir
- Vocal and Instrumental Ensembles
- Junior Band
- Senior Band
- Jr. /Inter. Musical
- Friday Morning Basketball
- Cross Country
- Girls/Boys/ Mixed Volleyball
- Girls/Boys Basketball
- Track and Field
Safe and Supportive Schools/Character Education/Equity Education
Every student has the right to learn in a safe and supportive environment. The York Region District School Board has a Safe Schools Policy and a defined procedure to implement the policy. Both the policy and procedure support the view that student discipline involves a continuum of support including prevention, intervention and appropriate consequences. The YRDSB remains committed to the inclusion of anti-racist and equity education in its policies and programs. In addition, Aurora Grove P.S. supports the development of character education in the York Region District School Board.