While the Don River does not cross the school property, its proximity was deemed a significant feature of the southern Richmond Hill area. Therefore, our school was named after the river that flows through York Region into Lake Ontario.
Our school motto is "Learning in Harmony." Each month we highlight a character attribute and celebrate student achievement and behaviour that exemplifies that month's character attribute. The ten character attributes are: respect, responsibility, honesty, empathy, fairness, initiative, perseverance, integrity, courage and optimism.
As voted by our students in 1990 our school mascot is the Doncrest Dragon. A replica of the Dragon appears in our main hallway across from our spacious double gym. The Dragon is emblazoned on all school and team gym wear, and is displayed along with our Touchstone.
Doncrest P.S. was officially opened in 1989. The school is in an ideal location being adjacent to an extensive woodlot and bordering on facilities owned by Richmond Hill Parks and Recreation which include a soccer pitch, tennis courts, ball diamond and a children's play structure. The woodlot provides the school with numerous opportunities for seasonal nature studies. The soccer field and play structure are used regularly by our students during recess and after school.
A child-care centre owned and operated by Family Day Care Services is located at Doncrest P.S. It is a full facility centre with kitchen and separate play ground areas.
As with each school in the York Region District School Board, Doncrest P.S. supports student learning through the curriculum standards set out by the Ontario Ministry of Education and many other co-curricular activities.
- promotes a safe and supportive learning environment. This is done through the Board's Safe Schools Policy and Procedures and the Character Education Initiatives
- provides Special Education Programs to support the achievement and well-being of all learners
- we offer the Grade 1 French Immersion program
- provides a before and after school programcalled "Circle of Friends"
We are also very proud to offer the following programs to our students:
- Anti-Bullying Programs
- Art Series for K-8 (Drama, Music, Storytelling)
- Instrumental music (Grade 7 and 8)
- Guest speakers and workshops
- Variety of field trips (all grades) and overnight trips (Grade 8)
- Ongoing and informal social skills counseling
- Progressive Discipline Model (all grades)
- Student Leadership program (student council, community service, lunch monitors, office helpers)
- VIP (Values – Influences – Peers) program (Grade 6)
Safe and Supportive Schools/Character Education/Equity Education
Every student has the right to learn in a safe and supportive environment. The York Region District School Board has a Safe Schools Policy and a defined procedure to implement the policy. Both the policy and procedure support the view that student discipline involves a continuum of support including prevention, intervention and appropriate consequences.
In addition, Doncrest P.S. supports the development of character education in the York Region District School Board. Classroom teachers build on the ten character attributes throughout the year and provide students with the knowledge, vocabulary and examples they need to become respectful citizens in the school and the community. School wide assemblies, daily announcements and special events like the Terry Fox Run and raising money for relief funds (e.g. tsunami, hurricane) emphasize the importance of values in daily life.