Founded in 1807, Jarvis C.I. was the first public high school in Toronto and has a long tradition of academic excellence and student involvement. Jarvis is committed to providing a rich and varied program encouraging higher order thinking as well as research and communication skills. Over 90% of our graduates attend university, including top schools like U of T, Waterloo, Dalhousie and Queens. A high number of our graduates are Ontario Scholars and many receive scholarships / bursaries. Situated in the 'heart of the city' at Jarvis and Wellesley, our school has a rich mix of students from over 100 countries of origin, integrated into one unified, vibrant community in which diversity is our strength!
Advanced Placement and Enrichment at Jarvis!
Jarvis is proud to offer the Advanced Placement Program (Gr. 12) and the pre-AP (Gr. 9-11) Program to our motivated students who wish to take university-level courses while still in high school. We offer these courses to give students the opportunity to show mastery and develop post-secondary skills. Students at Jarvis are encouraged to enroll in the enriched courses in Grade 9 through 11, after which they are well prepared to participate in the Grade 12 AP Courses. Students who successfully score on their AP-exams in May, could receive first-year university accreditation for that specific subject.
Over 200 Years of Academic Excellence
- Development of global competencies and AP Courses in Math, Science, English, and Social Sciences
- French Language Program
- Vibrant Art, Drama, and Music Programs
- Growing English as a Second Language Program
- Leadership and Mentorship Programs
- Full range of sports teams & intramurals
- Equity & student empowerment clubs
- "Silver Certified" Eco-School
- Participation in academic contests and global citizenship conferences
- Travel opportunities to Europe, U.S. and within Canada
More Information about Jarvis Collegiate Institute
Global Competencies at Jarvis!
Global competencies foster deep learning through engaging experiences that incorporate creativity, inquiry, entrepreneurship, collaboration, leadership, communication, global citizenship, character, critical thinking and problem solving.
New Business Specialist High Skills Major Program!
The Business SHSM will prepare students for post-secondary study and employment opportunities locally and abroad, setting the foundation for Business leadership. Jarvis' geographic proximity allows for opportunities for partners in providing Certification and Training, Career Exploration Activities, Reach Ahead Activities and Sector-Partner Contextualized Components.
Student Leadership at Jarvis!
What makes Jarvis special is our Student Leadership Program! Many of our programs are organized and run by our own students, such as Student Council, Student Leaders and Peer Tutoring. This helps with the transition of our incoming grade 9 students. Many of these clubs work towards fund-raising and creating awareness about social justice issues.
Enrichment Opportunities at Jarvis!
Our teachers strive to provide enrichment opportunities for our students outside of the classroom. We offer educational tours to Europe & the U.S., excursions to the ROM, Toronto Symphony & Opera, CBC, TSX, and the AGO; as well as conferences to Trailblazers in Law, Women's History Conference, and leadership programs through Empire & Rotary Club and Junior Achievement.
- Full-Year Academic Programming
- Student Scholarship & Award Program
- Historic Rotunda and Auditorium
- Two gymnasiums, Olympic-sized Pool
- Rich Extra-Curricular Programs
- Strong Arts, ESL & Co-op Programs
- Computer Labs & Portable Mini Labs
- Free After-School Tutoring
Student Life - Where You Belong
Jarvis sets the standards of excellence by offering:
- Over 40 Clubs including clubs in art, business, science; Social Justice, Equity, Stage Crew, Multicultural, Yearbook, School Newspaper, Anime, Peer Leadership, Model UN, IBC (Indigeneous Black Club) ...just to name a few
- Outstanding teams and sports like soccer, basketball, volleyball, rugby, track & field, tennis, swim team, ultimate frisbee, badminton, and numerous intra-mural sports
- Opportunities to demonstrate Jarvis spirit and talent through Drama Night, Music Night, Coffee House, Art Show, Spirit Week, celebration of all Heritage Months, Athletic Banquet, Talent Show, and Springfest
- Opportunities to motivate our students to not only apply their academic knowledge but to excel in areas of athletics, arts, and citizenship
What Sets Us Apart
1. Environmentalism at Jarvis: Jarvis students are global citizens with a strong sense of character and social responsibility. As a "Silver-Rated" Eco School, we have a strong recycling program, a thriving bike club, and are raising funds for water-bottle filling stations for the school. We have also completed our solar-panel roof project!
2. Student Citizenship at Jarvis: Our students believe strongly in helping each other. Our Student Leadership Program trains our student leaders to plan and lead, 'Me to We', Grade 9 Orientation Week, and train students in peer mediation strategies. Our dedication to inclusivity promotes tolerance and respect for all. Our Equity Workshops train our students on Anti-homophobia, celebration of all Heritage Months, as well as Bullying Awareness.
3. Diversity is our strength at Jarvis: Our student population is a mosaic of over 100 countries of origin embracing over 80 spoken languages and 20 religions. The United Nations principles of peace, safety and co-operation are evident in every hall, classroom, and lesson.
Parent and Community Engagement
Jarvis School Council is growing to involve our parent community. We meet regularly to discuss matters of interest to student learning and involvement. The Council is always welcoming new parents/guardians to take an active role in their students' education. We communicate with our parents through Curriculum Night, School Newsletters, mass emails, Parent-Teacher conferences, and Grade 8 Information Nights.