Roselawn P.S. most likely garnered its name on the basis that Richmond Hill is the "Rose Capital of Ontario" and the school is located on the land once occupied by the Roselawn Dairy Farm.
Roselawn began operation in September 1963 as a single story school with 8 classrooms, a kindergarten and a playroom with a staff of 10 teachers. It serviced students from kindergarten to grade 8.
The official opening was held April 14, 1964. Mr. John Martin was the first principal of the school and Mr. S.D. Kaiser, Chairman of Vaughan Township School Area officially welcomed guests that included the Hon. William Davis, Minister of Education at the time as a guest speaker.
In 1966 Roselawn added a second story and by 1968 it changed to a senior school that housed only grade 6, 7, and 8 students under principal Ross Kennedy. The school boundaries became Yonge St. on the east, Major Mackenzie on the north, Bathurst St. on the west, and Steeles Avenue on the south end.
Currently Roselawn P.S. services grades 5-8 including a Community Class for special education students. A dedicated Roselawn staff offers a stimulating and challenging environment to our students. We, the staff, are striving to prepare our learners for life in our changing world and community.
Our school motto is: "World Class Education".
Our school mascot is the Tazmanian Devil.
Roselawn P.S. was opened in 1963.
Additions were placed on the original school in 1965/66/68/93.
The school office was renovated in 2005.
As with each school in the York Region District School Board, Roselawn P.S. support student learning through the curriculum standards set out by the Ontario Ministry of Education and many other co-curricular activities.
- promotes a safe and supportive learning environment. This is done through the Board's Safe and Supportive Schools Policy and Procedures and the Character Education Initiatives
- provides Special Education Programs
We are also very proud to offer the following programs to our students:
- Anti-Bullying Programs
- Anti-Racist Education
- Guest speakers and workshops
- Ongoing and informal social skills counseling
- Progressive Discipline Model
- Student Parliament
- VIP (Values-Influences-Peers) program
- Math Club/Gauss Math Club
- Scrabble Club
- Environment Club
- Kilometre Club
- CD Rom Yearbook Club
- Red Maple/Silver Birch Book Club
- Intramural Sports/Friday Floor Hockey
- School Teams for both boys and girls (Cross Country, Volleyball, Basketball, Hockey and Track and Field)
- Annual Musical Production
- Concert Band
- Jazz Band
- Recorder Ensemble
- Woodwind Ensemble
- Tech Crew
In addition, Roselawn P.S. supports the development of character education in the York Region District School Board. The following is an overview of the school's Character Education initiatives: Daily Character reflection announcements, Character Matters! Committee, Kids of Character nominations, Character Matters! Awards and Certificates.